Back in 2008 this little arts nonprofit in St. Paul, Minnesota decided to take a gamble on me. One of the first things I did at my new desk was take pictures of myself wearing every striped shirt I owned. Although I can’t think of any good reason for why I did this, I like to think of it as being somewhat symbolic of Springboard and my time there so far. You know; fast, focused, stripe-changing adaptability squeezed into a colorful and fun little package. So, happy 6th workaversary to me and springboardarts.
1. Composers are very analytical and will focus obsessively on minute details.
2. Composers are usually well educated and let you know it.
3. Despite their obsessive tendencies, composers can still manage to be both extremely flaky and wildly particular.
4. Many composers have been known to be irascible mischief makers which is only attractive to librarians because librarians appreciate the use of the word “irascible”.
5. 99% of all composer that have ever walked the earth most likely died in some form of poverty, unrecognized, and their accomplishments completely forgotten.
6. Some people have a “thing” for composer-types. Those same people usually also have a thing for engaging in codependent relationships.
7. After getting hit on by a composer, most people run home as fast as possible and take a long hot shower.
8. Composers are super passionate about what’s in their own head. … I’m sorry… What? Were you saying something?
9. They tend to be completely inaccessible to people unless you have a key to their studio or happen to show up at a premier of their work and can catch them before they escape out the stage door following the performance.
10. If you happen to end up on a date with a composer you will be delighted to find they have a lot to say about many different topics and have many interesting anecdotal stories but they are usually all about themselves.
11. If you love to be corrected about the “facts” of a situation, composers are for you.
12. Composers like the things they like, so if they like you and that’s ok with you then you’re in excellent shape. If they like and you and you don’t like them, consider a restraining order.
13. Composers have been known to be good at making children. Bach fathered 20 children but only half of them survived to adulthood.
14. This one time at band camp…
15. G# - A - C# - D - E - B - A - D